Monday, December 8, 2008

Dresden Garbage

So I understand that this was a significant event and all, but honestly, this class is titled COLLEGE LITERATURE not WAR HISTORY. (I can't take credit for that, it was Agray's opinion) Why are we reading alllllllll of this extra garbage on Dresden? Yeah, we should have a BIT of a background on it if we are reading the book, but shouldn't the actual book be discussed in class first? I'm not the only one that thinks this too. This book is entertaining, but it's confusing. We should be discussing the ideas behind the book and what the author is trying to say and why he is writing it in this particular style first.

Speaking of the style of this book, what's with this whole time travel thing? Is Billy conscious of what is going on? How are the time jumps connected? Is this actually happening, or is it all part of Billy's imagination? Maybe there are no legitimate answers to these questions, but I personally think that we should be discussing what the class needs to know, instead of some garbage that no one wants to read about in the first place.

5 comments:

Winnie K said...

I agree with you. I am so sick of war. It seems like everyone of my classes wants to fully focus on wars. Anyways, I think that we need to focus on the themes and motifs behind everything. THe book is so confusing and we havent really gone over it.

Ky-Ky Bebeh said...

Damn, gurl! @.@

But I totally agree with you!

I'm kind of getting tired of how so much of the material we read in class relates to war. Combined with last term's AP Comp, which focused a lot on war as well, I'm just starting to get sick of it all.

I also agree with you about the book; it can be very confusing at times with the non-linear narration going on. At times, I'll be lost as to what's going on. Perhaps this is what Vonnegut wants?

In the end, I'm just glad that I can still read the Twilight series (Which is AMAZING!!) in my spare time after reading so much about war in College Lit...

Rae Rae said...

Lisa-

I agree you. I like learning about Dresden and such but I think we should go over the book more and that war less. It is beneficial for us to know some backround information on Dresden but I don't think we needed to go into that much detail about it before we talked about the book. The book was confusing to read. It would have been nice to talk about the book a little more.

-Rachel :)

Mr. Kunkle said...

Since you're recycling someone else's opinions, I'll recycle my response. Here's my comment to Alyssa's original post on this matter:

I think it is difficult to read any novel without considering its social and historical context, and much more so when the novel in question deals specifically with a historical event. Given that one of Vonnegut's goals is to provide us with an authentic, non-glorified view of what it is to be a soldier, reading letters from actual soldiers would seem to be a worthwhile activity.

I'm surprised, Lisa: I guess I pegged you as intellectually curious, and, given your personal connection to the armed services, respectful of the words of soldiers as worthy of study.

Sami said...

I agree Lisa. I thought that maybe we should have gone in more depth with the book, because I still found the themes of the book confusing. Nice post!