Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Meta...what?????

Ooooook folks, seriously, what is up with Kafka and the giant beetle? The climax of the ENTIRE book is at the beginning, and the rest is just a jumble of words and ideas. The writing isn’t fluid and there is no clear plot or idea. Even though there are some humorous parts, overall it is not a very good book in my opinion.
Everyone, of course, is entitled to his or her own opinion, but this garbage about how people think that Kafka was a literary genius and how they think Metamorphosis is an amazing book with depth….alllll crap!!!! Honestly, I think people just stumbled onto a book that they didn’t really understand, and tried to find “hidden meanings” to make sense of the book and make themselves feel better. What it looks like, is that Kafka had a general idea of what he wanted to write, but didn’t have the patience or the discipline to sit down and organize all of his ideas on to paper. This book looks like some sort of shitty first draft. Kafka himself even thought that Metamorphosis was no good.

Just look at the main points of the book:

Gregor turns into a beetle.

Gregor worries about not being able to go to work.

The rest of his family (who are in debt) finally get jobs.

His father lodges an apple in his back while his mother runs at his father half naked.

His sister cries, is bratty, and plays the violin.

There are three bearded men.

Gregor dies.

A deep meaningful message? I don’t think so. If some college student were to give a story like this to his or her professor, they would probably get an awful grade. But slap a name like Kafka on the cover, and all of a sudden it’s a literary work of art. It makes me wonder just how much emphasis our society puts into the name when we are judging the quality of work. Take music for example, hip-hop is fun and popular and all, but it’s not exactly meaningful. Less well known artists have better and more meaningful lyrics, but they don’t have a name like Kanye, so they don’t get any attention. It’s not just in music and books, it’s everywhere, people see a name associated with an item and based on that name they decide whether it’s good or bad. It’s such garbage. People always say “don’t judge a book by its cover”, but that’s exactly what we are doing.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I thought there was no meaning to that too. I was so confused on why they didn't care that he turned into a beetle. All they cared about was how they were going to get money because Gregor couldn't work. It was a weird story.

Ky-Ky Bebeh said...

I 100% agree with you my gurl Lisa!

There are tons of times when we'll be reading something in class, or outside of class on my own, where I'll think that people are just trying to find these non-existent "Hidden Meanings" in pieces of literature because they think it will make them look incredibly astute or something. I don't really have any problems with people who do this, as I'm sure I've done it myself, but still! x.x

Does no one think that the author just wanted to write a completely whack, yet still funny at parts, kind of story?

Perhaps, Kafka just got incredibly lucky in writing a story that made no sense to him at the time, but made sense to people after he died? lol

Abby said...

I respectfully disagree. I liked Metamorphosis. I think it's kind of nuanced, but there's meaning there.

Still, the rest of your point about people only caring about name brands can be very true. I mean, spending 30 dollars or however much it is (I wouldn't know) at Hollister for a plain shirt with just a name splattered across the front is ridiculous.

hotarfes-no definition yet, but when there is one, it will be amazing...